Greek Tyropita And The End of My Brazilian Bikini
Watch out and step aside when there is tyropita near me. I am liable to knock someone out trying to get my share. I dream about this pastry and have to stop myself from consuming it at every bakery I pass by.
Tryopita translates into English as ‘cheese pie’. Have you ever heard any two words sound so perfect together?
The pie is made of multiple layers of Philo pastry dough that when it comes out of the oven is crisp, warm and sinfully flaky. In the center there is a cheese mix comprising of feta, cottage cheese, eggs and depending on the maker, their discretion of other varieties of cheese. It is always best when fresh out of the oven.
It has just about ruined my new Brazilian bikini and has reversed all of the work my trainer and I did prior to my most recent trip to the Greek islands.
You can always tell where I am if there is a Greek bakery near by. Just follow the crumbs.
Here is a recipe I have tried recently. It was doable, but I am still searching for the BEST tyropita recipe ever! So, if you have one, please share!
1 lb feta cheese crumbled
3/4 lb ricotta
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
ground black pepper to taste
3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
½ lb Athens Regular (Thin) Fillo Dough (Phyllo)
2 sticks butter, melted
1. Mash feta with a fork breaking up larger clumps. Blend both cheese until smooth. Add eggs, black pepper, dill and 1 tablespoon melted butter.
2. Place 2 sheets of Phylo, one on top of other. Brush with melted butter. Cut into strips. ( I split the smaller width of the Phylo into equal thirds. )
3. Place 1 tablespoon filling at bottom of each strip. Fold flag fashion from bottom to top. Place seam side down on a buttered cookie sheet. Butter tops. Bake at 375 degrees for 6-8 minutes or freeze on cookie sheet and cook in an oven preheated to 375 degrees for 12-15 minutes.
I picked up this cookbook while in Greece and can’t wait to use it. It has all of the traditional Greek dishes in it.
- Foodie Fridays (andalliswell.wordpress.com)
- Phylo Dough Recipes (mademan.com)
- Eggplant Feta Béchamel Triangles – “Mελιτζάνoπίτα” (georgiecakes.com)